Chien-An 'Andy' Hu, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Phone: (505) 272-8816
Hu received an MS (1991) and PhD (1993) in molecular genetics from The Ohio State University. He completed a postdoctoral fellowship in human molecular genetics in 1997 at Howard Hughes Medical Institute, McKusick-Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Department of Pediatrics and Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He served on the research faculty at McKusick-Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine until he joined UNM in 2001.
Hu’s laboratory is interested in understanding the function and regulation of novel genes and proteins in health and disease, and in applying that understanding to associated diseases. He is one of the authorities in proline metabolic enzymes, the apolipoprotein L (ApoL) protein family and the crosstalk between apoptosis and autophagy.
- American Heart Association
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Society of Cancer Research-Minorities in Cancer Research
- American Society of Cancer Research
- Association of Chinese-American Engineers and Scientists, New Mexico
- Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association
- American Society of Human Genetics
- Sigma Xi
- The Scientific Research Society and the American Association for the Advancement of Science